Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Repairing Fused Glass Wall Mirror

I recently had an accident at home where a large fused glass mirror fell off the wall and broke. One of the hangers had come loose. This mirror was one of two large mirrors that I made several years when I was first starting out. I had to make it in sections due to the size and then use adhesives to put it all together. I made one for my daughter and one for myself and then decided to focus on smaller mirrors and items that would fit my 15" kiln shelf.
I salvaged some of the sections of the mirror and fortunately one side and the mirror itself were in good condition. I then had to add some new pieces, refire others when I could and a few rough edges just had to remain. Naturally I no longer had some of the matching glass so new colors had to be added. This is one of those projects that doesn't look to bad from a distance but on closer examination you can see the many flaws. I just didn't want to have to do without it.
When you view the photographs, keep in mind that I am not adept at photographing a mirror so the reflections you see are part of other walls or rooms in my home. You can get the general idea of how the project turned out though.

No comments: